Chennai Port is one of the principal seaports of India and is the largest in the Bay of Bengal. It is located on the Coromandel Coast in the state of Tamil Nadu. The major towns near Chennai Port are Ennore, Kattupalli, and Pulicat. Chennai Port is the second busiest cargo port in India after Mumbai Port. It is also one of the six government-owned essential ports in the country. The port handles a large cargo volume, including crude oil, petroleum products, coal, fertilizers, and other bulk and general cargo. The port has two separate cargo terminals – the South breakwater terminal and the North breakwater terminal. The South breakwater terminal handles crude oil and petroleum products, while the North breakwater terminal handles other bulk and general cargo. The Chennai Port Trust, which is the governing authority of the port, is responsible for its planning, development, and operation. The port strongly focuses on safety and security and has been accredited with the ISO 9001:2008 quality management certification.
The port handles a variety of cargo, including containers, break bulk, and liquid bulk. Export/Import requirements are:
- All exports from Chennai Port must be declared to the Customs authorities.
- A shipping or export bill must be filed with the Customs authorities for all exports.
- Exporters must obtain an export license from the Directorate General of Foreign Trade for specific items.
- An exporter must have a valid Import Export Code issued by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade.
- The exporter must provide the Customs authorities with a commercial invoice, packing list, and other required documents.
- The exporter must ensure the shipment is properly packaged and labeled.
- The exporter must pay all applicable taxes and duties on the shipment.
- All imports into Chennai Port must be declared to the Customs authorities.
- An import license is required for particular items.
- An importer must have a valid Import Export Code issued by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade.
- The importer must provide the Customs authorities with a commercial invoice, packing list, and other required documents.
- The importer must ensure that the shipment is properly packaged and labeled.
- The importer must pay all applicable taxes and duties on the shipment.
AddressRajaji Salai Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600 001 India
Port AuthorityChennai Port Trust
Phone91 44 25362201
Fax91 44 25361228
Coordinates13º 5' 60'' N, 80º 16' 59'' E
Mean tide1 foot
Channel51 - 55 feet 15.5 - 16 meters
Cargo Pier26 - 30 feet 7.1 - 9.1 meters
Anchorage61 - 65 feet 18.6 - 19.8 meters
Oil Terminal51 - 55 feet 15.5 - 16 meters
Max Vessel SizeOver 500 feet in length
Harbor TypeCoastal Breakwater
0-24 Ton Lifts
25-49 Ton Lifts
50-100 Ton Lifts
100+ Ton Lifts
and Highly reliable
|City From||City To||Port From||Port To||Price||Shipping Line||Container Code||Valid To||Container Type||Distance||Transit Time|